Silver Lake Catfish Outing
The Silver Lake catfish outing this year was held on Sunday Sept 17. We had 22 members fishing out of 10 boats. There was approx. 50 catfish caught during the hours from 8:30 to 2:30. The morning started with a little fog but burned off by the start of the outing. There was no wind for drifting, which made it a little more difficult, and the temperature was hot and very sunny.
All members followed the rules and I think all had fun and caught fish. John Lepkowski was the last to leave and made sure everything was in order. John made a final report to the Trustees of Silver Lake and hoped we could have the outing again. My sincere appreciation goes out to John for all he does to make this a great outing for SSA.
Don Hoffman won the tournament with a 28 inch channel catfish
Don Barnes was second with a 27 inch channel catfish......his second fish was 26 1/2 inches
Eric Babb and Bernie Babb tied for third with a 27 inch channel catfish...their second fish was 26 inches.
Gary Rudolf was fourth with a 27 inch channel catfish...his second fish was 24 3/4 inches
Harold McAbee was fifth with a 27 inch channel catfish... is second was 23 1/2 inches
As you can see it was a very close contest with four members with a 27 inch catfish and needing to go to the second fish.
Thanks to everyone for helping make this a great outing. Special thanks to John Skipper for helping members put boats on their trailers after the outing, and Steve Bower for helping measure fish.. I also want to thank the Trustees of Silver Lake for allowing our Club to use this great facility.
I hope you also had an opportunity to talk to Nancy, Bill Rusts daughter who came down for the weigh-in................it was nice to see her.
Bernie Babb, outings chairman
Bernie Babb is the chairman for the catfish outing. The outing will held Sunday, September 17th, from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm.
The rules for the outing are as follows:
· Fisherman should arrive between 7:45 am and 8:15 am to launch their boat and pay their $5.00 entry fee (per fisherman). The contest officially begins at 8:30 am. Parking space is available in the lot adjacent to the boat house off of Silver Lake Blvd. in front of the park going north.
· The outing is limited the club members only.
· Boats will be launched and returned at the south end of the parking lot.
· Only electric motors are permitted.
· Fishing will be permitted from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. All fishermen should return to shore on or before 2:45 pm in order that fish can be measured for the contest purposes . Fish will be measured for contest purposes at 2:45.
· No alcoholic beverages are permitted on the property at any time.
· Fisherman may leave the launch area at 8:20 am to any area on the lake except for the swimming area. The host (John Lepkowski) will arrive to open the park at or around 7:45 am.
· No Silver Lake boats will be available at the boathouse for fisherman. Park Trustees granted permission for this outing and club members are asked to limit their skills to catfish. No other species of fish may be targeted or kept.
The single largest catfish by length will be measured. In the event of a tie the second largest fish will be measured. You may keep all the catfish you catch.